Thursday, January 28, 2010

Hunger

Krissy asked me about a daily calorie limit - exactly how much I would be eating. I originally replied that I would attempt to eat "three 'reasonably sized' meals" - and felt satisfied with that response. I was operating under the unspoken assumption that I would simply eat whenever I was hungry. While at work today, I went on break, and ate a sandwich. I grabbed the sandwich because I was on break. I thought about it, and I wasn't even sure if I was hungry or not. Then I realized something that I consider to be really eye-opening - I haven't been hungry in about a decade. Seriously.
I was "hungry" last week. A few weeks ago, I was complaining about not wanting to eat more Ramen noodles. But I haven't been hungry in over ten years. I'm talking about "not having eaten, and not having any food" hungry. In fact, I would wager that most of reading this (myself included) have forgotten what true hunger was like, if we've ever experienced it at all.
I'm not going to eat tomorrow. I'm going to have water, and two 8oz. glasses of juice. We'll see how that goes, and take it from there. Nothing ascetic about this, but I realized that if I'm going to claim to eat when I'm hungry, I better darn well know what hunger feels like.

2 comments:

  1. Caloric intake depends on how active you are. Are you changing more than what, when and why your eating food? Are you gonna walk to the grocer to simulate gathering and hunting? Are you walking places? riding a bike? Working out? Some issues with eating and weight gain simply have to do with lack of activity ( i know this is not a weight maintenance exercise) I was just curious. Dietary guidelines might be a good place to start. You might already know or have thought of all this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. naw, not actually gonna try to simulate hunting/gathering :) same activities as usual, I'm fairly active. I'm operating under the assumption that I'll be taking in somewhere in the realm of 1800ish calories, but I'm not terribly concerned what that number ends up being as long as its not far too low to maintain health, ya know?

    ReplyDelete