Thursday, January 28, 2010

Revision

I went to the store yesterday and did a sort of inventory - putting together around 50 "meals." These ranged from salad to rice to black beans to pb&j to pizza - and I had every intent of assigning them their numbers last night. However, a few of us @ the house were talking last night, and an interesting point was brought up regarding the randomization method. . . One of my main goals in this is attempting to change to way that I (we?) think about food: trying to see it as a biological imperative, rather than a reward, or even a daily event. Someone (Fay? Liz?) mentioned that the method I was planning, the randomization, would do little more than replace the anticipation of the food that I wanted with the anticipation of the random number that I wanted. In some sense, In think they're correct - and that's not what I want.
So, as it stands, the new method may be this: black beans, and rice. I'm going to look further into the nutritional benefits of both foods, but I think I may try to eat only black beans, rice, or black beans and rice (along with a multivitamin, fish oil, and a protein supplement). If it turns out that these simply aren't going to provide what I need, nutrition-wise, I will add something (fruit or vegetable X). This simplistic approach, however, seems like it will help accomplish what I'm aiming to accomplish better than the previous plan. Thoughts?

3 comments:

  1. You might want to have two number lists or categories. So you have to a fruit column, a vegetable column, etc. That way you are sure that you get both fruits and veggies. Are you eating Pizza and PBJ or just raw foods (veggies and fruits) some of which need to be boiled (cooked)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. at this point, prolly literally nothing but either black beans, rice, or both - and one vegetable or fruit, if necessary. will obv be cooking the beans/rice, but no sauces or anything like that. really just concerned with what I will need, in the very literal sense

    ReplyDelete
  3. talking to my sis man, she suggests selecting one item from each "food group", kinda implying that fiber was something that you need to make sure you get. Also concerned about your calorie intake, how much beans and rice are you going to have to eat to reach 1800 calories a day. Remember as well, viatmin supplements have never been proven to give you really any amount of nutrients that you need. One item from each group should give you all you need in "theory".

    ReplyDelete